jealousy and longing

by Thursday, September 17, 2015 7 palagay
Three years ago, I dated Nikko, a med student about my age. I liked him very dearly and we both knew that. But it wasn't enough to transcend that friendship into a commitment. Deep within, I knew it's still him. I told Nikko about it and begged to stay as a friend. Wise enough to understand, he still let me see his life and share important moments. I would invite him to celebrate Christmas with my family and he would let me have dinner when his parents come to the city. Through the years, he'd let me know of his struggles and moments of bliss. The boys he dated, his passion in singing and dancing, the perennial fear of being not good enough. I'd like to believe that Nikko let me witness and share his life in a close encounter. He's going to take his oath as a physician in a few days. I'm very happy about that.

He has a partner now. Recently, I invited them over a charity dinner my group organized. Not seeing him for months, I was delighted to see him and his partner N. His walk was bouncy and his eyes are beaming, with a half smile I'm familiar as if telling me "Yes, that's him, Yas. My joy and all." He didn't have to say it. He's brimming with happiness.

I hugged them and for a second, my heart betrayed me.

That feeling of being vulnerable and empowered at the same time, of absolute contentment and belonging, of contradicting phenomenon of freedom and commitment all because of the presence of one person you handpicked from the rest of mankind. 

I miss that.

I miss you.



Yas Jayson

Panig sa Diyos at Bayan

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.

7 palagay:

mike said...

i know exactly how you feel.

we tried the "friends" only for a few years and in the end, i was the one who got hurt. i decided to distant myself for my sanity. it was tough but it made me a better person.

Anonymous said...

this left me in awh.. I can get easily attached to people and find it hard to let go.

lucas said...

I admire your strength. Jealousy, longing, love. To keep such emotions in the same heart, at the same time, in my case, is too much to bear.

Totally unrelated: Just got back from blogging again...er... Are you the big Bjork fan?

Arwind Vera said...

I don't understand how this friendship thing works when someone has fallen for the other. Personally I think it's emotional suicide. But that's just me. Haha.

CHRISTIAN said...

don't worry, Arwind Vera you're not alone.
the sentiment is mutual. hahaha
well, as they say, emotion cannot be trusted yet they're the one that tells us the most honest answer no explanation on earth could ever define.

Guyrony said...

Hay, Yas ganoon nga talaga ata ang ikot ng buhay ano? May mga pagkakataong mahal mo pero hindi ka mahal at may pagkakataong mahal ka pero hindi mo mahal.

So paano na yan, Yas?

Yayakapin mo ba siyang muli at tatraydorin ang sariling puso?

MATINA said...


I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.